Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Advice on divorce?

Can my spouse simply divorce me by having me sign a piece of paper authorising his lawyer to act on my behalf? And also can his lawyer both represent us? He says it's a friend of his and that he's doing my spouse (and also me) a favour that he won't have to pay much or he could repay his services with ';favours';,said that heas cheap as possible. It sounds dodgy to me. I'm seeking legal advices from solicitors. In the meantime,what do u make of this?Advice on divorce?
You need to have your own lawyer. Think of it this way...if someone is accused of murder would it be a good idea for the prosecuting attorney to also be the defense lawyer? Of course not. Each party needs to have someone that can act in the best interest of their client and that can't happen if the same person represents both sides.





Either you both self represent or you both go out and get separate lawyers.Advice on divorce?
I was divorced without even knowing for more than a year. I never signed anything...was never notified. I only found out when I got a child support notice and the ex had a different last name than me!
You can sign a piece of paper and not have a lawyer. But he will act on the behalf of your spouse.





I went to the attorney and my husband decided to go to the office and sign. He never went and got an attorney. I was divorced in 2 weeks because it went very smooth.





If you decide to do this really read the documents very carefully. If you believe this is going to work to save money and you will not get screwed then go for it. We spent $400. on our divorce and we were married over 14 years.
Yes he can, or rather you can.


If you are just getting a divorce, you just need someone to draw up the papers and file them.


The problem come in when dividing property, arranging child support and custody, etc..


If these aren't issues then have him do it. Shouldn't cost much, standard forms and a filing fee.
first of all don't let him make decisions. you need to make them together unless you trust him like that. you need to do some investigation. maybe call the lawyer yourself and talk to them
It is possible to have the same lawyer but certainly not advisable. I wouldn't use the same lawyer no matter how cheap it is and I wouldn't trust them to act favorable in your behalf.
yeah BS
A lawyer cannot represnet both of you, BUT one lawyer can draw the papers in the behalf one party and communicate with the other party to agree on the terms and conditions to make it an uncontested divorce. Also, you can waive your right to appear in court if you do not wish/can appear.





Good luck
Tear the paper up, bust up laughing and ask him what other lame brain ideas does he have?
That's BS you must have different lawyers.
Sounds to me like he's trying to get you to consent so he can get whatever he wants out of the marriage/divorce. I recommend you get your own lawyer.
Hiring a lawyer for minor legal problems can be expensive, but there are websites like LawGuru, FindLaw and other places where you can get free legal advice. I found this website useful - http://www.uelp.org/freelegal.html
If he makes you sign the right paper he can probably get anything done. Stop signing papers you don't understand and get your own lawyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment