Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lawyers I need advice on divorce.?

I have an appointment with a lawyer but my husband is pushing me to make decisions and I haven't gotten to talk to a lawyer yet. I am 26, he is 42. We have been married 6 years and have a 3 y/o child. I am leaving because he is verbally abusive, controlling and neglective as a husband and father. He is a doctor and I am a stay at home mom. I am willing to let him have the house, what should I ask for in return? I don't want to take him to the cleaners but I don't want to be broke either. He is willing to pay my van off too.Lawyers I need advice on divorce.?
I'm not a lawyer, but I've been through a divorce. Don't agree to anything until you have spoken to your lawyer, if he doesn't like it TOO BAD. He's older with more experience, talk to a lawyer before committing to anything. Do this so you and your child have something for a future.Lawyers I need advice on divorce.?
Its unforunate that the guy whose wife screwed around on him with his friend is probably gonna lose so much that he worked hard for.
Talk with your attorney ASAP. Your hubby doesn't want to give you anything in the divorce except the pay off of your van. You'd be a fool to settle for that.
talk to your lawyer, and DO NOT walk away with nothing... it's nice he is going to pay the van off, but he is a doctor and i'm sure makes a comfortable living.





don't suffer financially on his account.... you have a home and have gained a lot since marriage. it's HALF yours!!! he needs to come up with the cash for at least 1/2 of the value of the home, if nothing else.





ask for it!!! tell your attorney that's what you want... and if you want some of the furniture and household items, take those too.





don't walk away empty handed. you don't deserve to struggle. you have become accustom to a certain lifestyle. and you will need furniture, sheets, towels, silverware, dishes, pots, pans, and other miscellaneous items... which you now own jointly with your husband. so take some of it.





don't sit back and leave with nothing!!! he has been abusive and controlling as you said... you have suffered enough. don't continue to suffer because you don't want to take the house from him.... you deserve your share, too.
Aside from the additional information you posted, you need to inform us whether or not he owned the home BEFORE the marriage or if the two of you purchased it after the marriage.





THEN you will get an answer.





Also, why have you not worked during the marriage?





EDITED BASED ON ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.





Then, in that case tell hubby that any and all communications can be handled through your attorney.





While I advocate trying to work things out to the mutual satisfaction of ALL parties to a divorce (and don't kid yourself, your child IS a party), I NEVER advocate entering into any legal agreement without the advice of counsel.





Your husband wouldn't advise a patient of his to perform their own surgery would he? So to you shouldn't handle your own divorce.
What state are you in? Some states are no fault states and any romantic evidence or hearsay of will not matter, nor will the verbally abusive nature of your soon to be ex-husband.





Taking him to the cleaners is not beneficial to anyone, especially your child. Try to be amicable. Your state may or may not have alimony and that will be set by the judge based on income, your employability, etc. Cost of living is also something to consider. Essentially you should ask for more than what you want in order to make a compromise. I went through a divorce, sought and won custody of my kids and did not drag her through the ringer. I get no child support or anything from my ex-wife.





Be fair, but above all for your child, take the high road and make sure that all of your thoughts on the character of your husband remain yours and are not forced upon your child.





I would say stick with the lawyer for your advice and just make sure that your child is taken care of.
I strongly suggest to get out of the marriage. I am married to a man who is abusive and it doesnt and wont get any better. mine held leverage over me so he could have his sexual fantasies come true and you wouldnt believe the tourment he put me thru. I will never be able to get married again because of all the abuse. You take all that is your share!! No matter what, then you wont have any regreats later!! It takes alot to be on your own especially with a child. Dont stay and take the abuse, it's harder and harder to keep picking yourself up after each time.


Also think of your child, you dont want your child growing up with that eiter!!


Do what you gotta do.


Good luck, and God bless you!
Don't be afraid to take him to the cleaners, the judge will make sure everything is legal and he will draw the limits. You might end up on the short end of the rope if you settle too fast and ask for nothing.


Speak to a lawyer before you sign any papers with, or for, your husband.


You are fully entitled to child support, get that for certain!


At least ask for alimony, or failing that, get your van and half the fair market value of the house.


Ask for everything, but expect to get less.

No comments:

Post a Comment