Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Divorce & finances - advice please - morals vs hurt?

Im separated from my husband nearly 4mths - I left but only because I was the brave one - we were both unhappy. Im staying at a friends house with nothing except my clothes from my marital home which i paid half for all the time we were together. My husband has significant savings from an inheritance which morally I decided wasnt mine to take half of inn a settlement. I proposed a 2yr separation to avoid the costs of petitioning and emotional turmoil of opening old wounds. Trouble is he has agreed to a cheap settlement (based on my good nature not my solicitors advice) but now he is saying he wants to divorce me on unreasonable behaviour (which I feel is completely unfounded) but unless i ask for more money to cover the costs of joint petitioning im likely to be left not only out of pocket but with a divorce he can tell everybody was on my grounds of being a ***** - surely my actions speak for themselves that im not screwing him for as much as i can get?????Im even still paying half the mortgage so as not to make affording our house difficult for him - I feel like ive been kicked in the face by him - what should i do???? genuine advice pleaseDivorce %26amp; finances - advice please - morals vs hurt?
Get as much from the divorce as you can, You will need it to start again and stop being so nice because he isn't being nice to you. Go for everything or you will just feel cheated a few years down the line.Divorce %26amp; finances - advice please - morals vs hurt?
Are you real? look if you are paying for half of the mortgage then you should without question get back your invesment. many a times the word money and divorce don't sit well together but what is yours is yours no doubt about it. hey you didn't just get kicked in the face you also got kick in the ***, so now kick back. this is guy talking.


*****I AM IN THE PLAYPEN WITH SWEET MILDRED*****
Do I understand correctly....that you're paying half a mortgage, on a house you do NOT live in? .....';so as not to make affording our house difficult for him'; You've been kicked in the face by your own foot.......


PLEASE, revert to your solicitor's advice, immediately...if not sooner!
Hire a lawyer and tell the lawyer you want no less then your fair share. Should be plenty of assets for you to pay an attorney. I'd be surprised if it ran more than $1500.00-$2000.00 if he fights you on every little thing and there needs to be QDRO's done to split 401K's etc.
Divorce, sell the house, split the assets and move on with your lives.
Unfortunately, without knowing which state you live in, it's impossible for me (or imho, anyone) to give you genuine advice. My best advice is to go online and find a service that would provide you a free (usually 30 min.) consultation with a family lawyer in your area. Start with www.findlaw.com





Note that if you live in a community property state (California, for example) then you WILL have an interest in your marital home, which you should claim so you can get back on your feet.





Unfortunately, divorces are messy. And when he's more interested in hurting you and your reputation than he is in resolving this maturely, amicable settlement is rarely possible.





Best of luck, and I'm sorry for what you're going through.
during my divorce, we had over 200k of equity in the house... the divorce was nobody's fault... but it had to happen.





so i told her to draw up what she wants, and she wrote up that she'll buy me out for 14k, her keeping the house, furniture, 2 cars, etc etc. (again, house alone had 200k of equity)





we were both living under the same roof during the divorce, and it dragged on for 8 months, and i threw the 14k proposal back to her face and i left with nothing. zero. nata.





my only regret is not leaving sooner.





money is just money. you can always make money, but the lost time, the fights, it isn't worth it. none of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment