Thursday, December 31, 2009

I need advice on Divorce and Annulments on weddings in the US, but being of British nationality?

Hello,





I want to break the marriage between me and my wife. We have both consented to do this, but I'm having abit of trouble on what to do.





We married in Las Vegas a year back, but I currently live in UK (British national) and she lives in China (Chinese national).





I want to know if I can get a divorce or annulment here in UK, or does it need to be back in America?





If it can be done in UK, what are the typical costs of a no contest divorce / annulment? And if it has to be done in America, what is the best plan for me in chosing the service provider and obtaining the nessessary forms.





And as for reasons for annulment... i think I'll be safe with my reasons heh





Thanks!I need advice on Divorce and Annulments on weddings in the US, but being of British nationality?
In general you are considered married in the eyes of the US. The question is did you do anything once you got back to the UK so that the UK government classified you as married. If you never told the UK that you were married and your bride isn't going to do so, and you don't plan on being super rich or going to the US to marry someone else. Then you could just ignore the whole tale and write it off as a drunken tale of your stupidity.





Now, if you took steps to have your married recognized by the UK government then you can go about getting a divorce in the UK.





You would have a difficult time getting an annulment of the marriage in the US since you waited over a year. You could easily get a divorce in the US if you wanted but it would require at least one of you to go to the US and appear before the judge.





You could actually even get a divorce in the UK if you want to make sure the marriage never comes back to bite you. In the US it was once common for couples to go abroad to get a divorce because it was faster than the process used to be in the US.





If you go for a divorce in the US you can get them done for less than $250 as long as neither side contests the divorce. They are cheap to get but with both of you living in different countries it would be a major pain and would require at least one of you to show up in the US.I need advice on Divorce and Annulments on weddings in the US, but being of British nationality?
What a mess! Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment