Sunday, December 27, 2009

I Need Divorce Advice?

I am about to file for a divorce and could use some advice as to what steps to take and the estimated cost and time it will take to be done.I Need Divorce Advice?
i got divorced last year..non-contested and my wife never got an attorney..she got copies of everything that was filed so that she could see what the deal was...we had already been doing the custody thing and child support and we agreed among ourselves what we wanted and just told the lawyer who filed it and told the judge...you can go to staples and get a do it yourself kit but just make sure that you both agree on everything from visitation to custody to summers breaks to his retirement if he has any..it can be done...everyone said that we had the most civil divorce they had ever seen.....and remember.stay on good terms for the kids...good luck...I Need Divorce Advice?
Take a long walk. Clear your head. Make a list of things you want to accomplish with your divorce. Child support, alimony, who pays for outstanding debt... If it is a simple divorce, no property, no kids - sometimes you can get a paralegal to do the paperwork and you represent yourself in court. Save alot of $$$. My divorce was final in March.
I'm currently going through a divorce so I can give you a few pointers. A divorce usually takes 6 months from the filing date to be finalized, but that's if there's no property to be divided, children involved, etc. It also depends on if the other person wants to play dirty and fight for it all. My divorce is costing me $1500 but that's because I hired a lawyer. You can file your own divorce, which would cost $150, but that doesn't include any other fees that might apply. If you are fighting for property or custody, I highly recommend a lawyer because if your spouse gets a lawyer and you don't, they will have a better fighting chance than you because you will be representing yourself. So first, set up some consultations with lawyers in your area. If you live in seperate areas, you will want to file first..otherwise, the case will be in whatever county it is filed in and you'll have to get a lawyer in that county to avoid extra fees. I hope my advice helps and if you need anymore..feel free to contact me! Good luck!
you could go through a paralegal they are cheaper i live in ca and my ex was in va i think i paid 200.00 for everything
You can read some online, and you can go to Nolo Press and order information http://nolo.com/. If you go to this page, http://nolo.com/resource.cfm/catID/1F8CD鈥?/a> you can read an article about when to seek out a lawyer.





If you have children, you really need to have a lawyer. The more assets you have, the more to protect and again you need an attorney.





You can often get a free consultation with a lawyer and see what that person thinks. If you work for a company that has an ';EAP'; (Employee Assistance Plan';, they offer legal services for free or a minimal payment.





GOOD LUCK!
I've been divorced for 3 years. Take my advice, get an attorney. My ex-husband opted to not get an attorney when our divorce went to court because it was uncontested as well. We also have 3 children. Because I had an attorney and he didn't the judge automatically granted me everything I asked for, including full custody of our children. He has no parental rights, and only visitation rights ON MY TERMS. It may cost a little more now, but in the long run, when there are children involved, its well worth the expense.





Divorce is always hard no matter what. Good luck and God bless.
You may think you both have it all amicably figured out. However, it rarely goes as planned. Usually before it's over, it gets ugly. So I'd consult a good attny in your area.
call the divorce lawyers in your area
These things vary soooo much depending on where you live, what the situation is, what kind of property is involved, whether or not there are kids involved. Call attorneys they'll give you general quotes regarding cost over the phone. You can also call your local bar association and they will get you an attorney you can meet with the first time for a very small fee.
Call around to lawyers and get info.
Use the same attorney. Since you have agreed, it will not be an adversarial situation. Cost varies, so shop around. Ask each one what his/her charges are, since you have the $$ factors figured out -- child support, yadayada. Couple hundrend to $1000 would be a ball part estimate. The attorney's job, essentially then would be just to write down what it is that you two agree to, and file it for you. If there is little in the way of assets to divide, and little in the way of contested child support, you can get divorce papers off of the internet, fill in the blanks yourself, and file after each of you has signed. This avoids attorney fees. MOst states will allow you to do this.
I would make sure you have all your assets safe. Put all thing in writting. Expect every twist and turn to happen. Even with the agreement of the kids, make sure there is somthing there to protect you in case you need to fight for sole custudy. Like have a list of agreements and if he fails then there are conquences.





Have everything documented. Be prepared for anything.





Go to paralegals when you can.
try a paralegal they should only cost $250.00 check with your state for prices....good luck
I was divorced last year in Florida. I did all the paperwork myself and avoided any cost because I filed to have the cost waived because I was broke. The court might let you make payments if they charge you a fee. Just get everything in writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment