Thursday, December 31, 2009

Anyone who has been through a divorce? need advice on which job to choose?

I have 2 job offers. Im a nurse. one is fulltime, w/ benefits, 8 hour shift days, with every other weekend. my 3 yr old would have to go to daycare fulltime and my 12 yr old would have to get herself on the bus in the AM. But it is stable, although it is in a nursing home and I have no experience in that area. so it would be totally new to me. The other job is an atmosphere that I think I would enjoy. the daycare is right across the street, and he would only have to go 2 days a week. but it is only a part time job. I would keep the part time job i have now as a nurse, so working 2 part time jobs. but no benefits.I wouldn't have to work any weekends or holidays.and the hours work around my kids very well. so do i choose the more consistent job,putting my 3 yo in daycare fulltime for more money and benefits? or choose the 2 part time jobs and have more time for my kids,but less money and no benefits. my kids do have benefits through their father. I won't after divorce is final.Anyone who has been through a divorce? need advice on which job to choose?
You asked if your ex could keep you on his health insurance...the answer is only if it is stated so in the divorce decree. Hopefully both children are on his. But if you're not you would have to get health coverage for yourself. You can look at it this way...what you would spend in day care costs if you took the full time job you could put into health care for yourself with the two part time jobs. Shop around for health care, there are many that are resonable. Since you are a nurse you might want to check with your employers to see what they would recommend.Anyone who has been through a divorce? need advice on which job to choose?
I know this may hurt but i would take the job that you have full time benefits and all. yes, it will be hard but heck its best then working two jobs and then having some time with them you can still have good time with them and be a godo mother. i am surprized your x is helping but its concern for al of you and you really need to get organzied. maybe the judge will give you more and help and he'll have to but be ready to get away from him period and the only way is be on your own and use the fulltime nurse. they can and will show you how ot do this. it could be fullfilling and good but then again you mentioned your would rather work the other part time job. well no benefits for yourself is it worth it? i wonder and stay on his health i wouldnt' do that. if i were you go cold turkey and slowly get rid of him just money after abit is all he could do is child support and get rid of him there wa reason for all this huH?
My wife, who has been a single mom before for several years and has 15 years of insurance experience, will answer your question.








The very first thing I would do is look at his insurance policy and see how much the deductible is for the children and see how much the co-pay is, if any. Then I would compare those amounts to the insurance package for the full time job. If you take the full time job your insurance will be secondary to his for the children. This could mean no money out of your pocket for the year for deductibles.





In my experience, children love daycare. When I divorced, my oldest son was 2. I worked 3 jobs (I wouldn't recommend that number of jobs to anyone). Anyway, my son loved daycare because there were other kids his age there all day to play with:)


Your 12 year old will conform to your schedule easily enough as long as the money is good enough...get my meaning?





So...in a nutshell, I'd take the full time job and enjoy the benefits...and so would my kids:) However, spending that amount of time away from them is hard but sometimes we have to do it. You have to develop a thick skin;)
If your ex is reliable enough to keep up with the support than I would go with the 2 part time jobs. I work in a daycare so I had the advantage of having a full time job and still seeing my child anytime I wanted. Well actually I didn't go to full time till my child started school. Asking me, I think the children should always come first and that means having your time. Children need love and support and time with parents more than a lot of money. You can get by? then go with the 2 part time jobs if it means more time with your child. You will never get those years back.
I've been thru similiar situation and think you definately need the insurance benefits for the kids. Some very minor problems can cost you a fortune and then you will be trying to catch up for years. The kids can deal well with daycare and the confusion and be fine as long as you are not blown away with medical bills and become miserable. They need you whole mentally.


Good luck
Well, I say gfo for the better money, you'll need it. Is it possible for grandparents to help out with the kids? That's a great help if you can use it.





You need to look out for yourself now and do the right thing for you and the better job may lead to one with more flexible hours.
i think i prefer the second option the part time job first you can look after your kids second you can still have a decent income from this two part time jobs get a private health care i think the contribution is not that much if your ex share his part and try to join the retirement fund with minimum amount of contribution


the best benefit you will have is looking with your kids and you lessen that money you will pay in your son day care if you worked fulltime
Your kids are only young once, and the guilt will be unbearable, you are already going thru the divorce, that's hard enough on the kids, they will need extra love and time from you....I say go for the job that allows you the most time with your kids, in a matter of years you can re-evaluate your situation and make changes if necessary.
He has to cover the kids on his health insurance but not you. Child support whether it is crucial or not is needed for the kids, he should have to help support them. The Full time job seems like the most appropriate and stable job. And, if you are unhappy you can put in application's because you have a job that will not run you down while you are looking and you will still be there for your children, which is what's the most important factor here. Right? The benefits will be good because you will need them but defiently check into your ex getting the kids covered under his, unless you find that yours is better coverage. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment